Sunday, June 2, 2013

Time off between surveying

We had some days off after Chicago work and before we started the rest of our summer surveys (we are now in Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario -- blog entry for this coming SOON). I spent some time at our family's cabin in Schroeder, MN with my aunt Gayle and my Grampa, pictures below. I also moved all of my stuff to Ironwood, MI, where I live with Jonathon now. For entertaining shots of how much crap I have, see below. Also see below if you want to see our tiny new garden in Ironwood or the gum-ball-sized hail we got. 


Gayle and I went on a wildflower walk - this was our first find: bloodroot!

Fiddleheads

Spring beauties!

Gayle and bloodroot

Me and Notary Sojac

At Father Baraga's cross

As a general rule, you have to wear at least one of the crazy hats that live in this cabin while you are visiting.

Me in my only piece of furniture, surveying all of my stuff. I'm sorry to say this isn't all of it. The pile of skis, my bikes, rollerskis, etc are all upstairs. I now own 2 full carloads of stuff. Last time I packed I think it was only 1.5?? MAJOR shout-out to my cousin Abby for helping me pack all my stuff up in Duluth. She is an organization queen. Jonathon helped quite a bit too. Shout outs all around.

JR's parents came to visit and brought us delicious dinner! Grilled pork and asparagus and beans, and we made a fruit salad. 

In Ironwood. We went canoeing on something I named Swamp Creek. Nice reflections. Saw a beaver and paddled up some beaver dams. Some day I will post a video of this process. It mostly involves me screaming and trying to direct the canoe while Jonathon paddles violently over the dam. 

We planted some peppers and tomatoes that Vicki gave us, in a little garden in the yard. I am calling it the White Trash Garden. The house is a bit... funky (see corner behind garden in this picture) and we have a bunch of stuff that lives on the porch, and also a dog named Harley (kidding). So we feel a bit like "white trash" in Ironwood. Stay tuned for a White Trash Christmas Picture!!

Hail from our first big t-storm. That thing in the background is not hail, it's my big rock which sits on the porch. Do you like the green astroturfy porch?

1 comment:

  1. Some great pictures. Love the flowers! And the pics at the cabin - especially the one about the crazy hats. You sure have accumulated quite a bit of stuff - but much of it is gear - very important stuff!

    ReplyDelete